Saturday 9 November 2013

The Lord Mayor's Show

I was dubious, after yesterday's weather, and really doubted today, when I saw it was pouring rain at midday, whether I would get to the Lord Mayor's Show. So I pored over what film I might go to - and when I got through with that, I noticed the rain had stopped and the sun had come out! So I did too, saying I'd risk it.

The first part of the festivities was a parade. I decided - wisely, as it transpired - to head for the end of the route, at Mansion House. By the time I made it into town, the parade was nearly finished, and this was my best chance to see as much as possible of it. Besides, that was very near where the free guided walks would be happening. And I could get there direct on the District Line. So I arrived at Mansion House, the Lord Mayor's residence, and was immediately glad I'd come. The crowd wasn't that dense, and the costumes and finery were terrific! The whole parade was supposed to take an hour to pass any given point - I estimate I saw about 15mins of it. But it was the best bit, with the dignitaries and the Lord Mayor's coach. So that's all right.

I realised that the best way to find my way to the start of the parade route, where the walks were taking place, would be to follow the parade - which I did, until I saw the distinctive façade of 1 Poultry, the building where we were to assemble for the walks. There was a long queue, but we were processed quickly, and there were plenty of guides. This walk was to last about an hour and a quarter, and have no hills or steps. It mainly centred on the riverbank - I do wonder whether different guides covered different areas, as we didn't come across any other groups on our walk. Anyway, it's a part of the city I'm not that familiar with, so I was well pleased. It started to rain quite persistently during the walk, but I persisted too, and it had stopped by the end, which was outside The Black Friar Pub - just off Blackfriars Bridge, one of the prime locations for the fireworks, conveniently enough. It was too busy to think of going in, and although I was already hungry by that stage, I knew I didn't have time to eat before the fireworks at 5. Oh, and a caveat about the walk - it was excellent, but despite the promise of "no steps", there was a flight right at the end, to climb up to the bridge from the waterfront. Not a big deal for me, but if you did have real trouble with steps, it'd be a point to note. So just be aware of that if going on a "no-steps" walk, and check carefully.

Phew! So I crossed to the railing, and decided that behind the guy with the complicated-looking camera was the place to be. And then we waited, all of us. The railings, the steps, the bridge, were all lined with folks whose gaze was pointed the same way. For the next 40 minutes. Ah, the dedication. And my, what fun when the two little people appeared in front of me - she with psychedelic flashing bunny ears, he with a whistle he kept practising on. Accompanied by their auntie, who was just worried they'd knock over the tripod with the complicated-looking camera on it. And probably send it sailing over the wall and onto the steps down to the wharf. But no, they were good really. And once the fireworks finally started, he forgot all about his whistle! The fireworks were good, although further away than we expected - and I was surprised that they only lasted ten minutes! I'm used to longer for a public display - but well, I suppose, they did have a parade to pay for. And a banquet (to which, sadly, I was not invited).

Photos of the day are now available!

By this stage I was starving, and couldn't wait until I got home to eat. I know there's a very good Pizza Express near the Globe Theatre, just a little bit up - so I headed in that general direction. By now, it was absolutely freezing.. I will have to drag out all those winter woollies. And I couldn't go via the riverbank - it was thronged. So the first restaurant I came across, I stopped at. Turned out to be The Tall House, a Chinese. Which was very good, although not as good as my new local Chinese, Taiwan Village! But it's always good to get around. And when the couple beside me were ordering, she asked for what I was having. Which is a good recommendation for their chicken Szechuan.

Tomorrow is back to the movies. Blue is the Warmest Colour, if I can get up for it (11am in town). Story about a girl who falls for a girl with blue hair..

No comments:

Post a Comment