Sunday 24 November 2013

Play: Mucky Kid

Yay! Finally, I think of going to the Latchmere and actually make it! Google Maps suggested I take the Overground to Clapham Junction, and then there's a bus I could take - but it would actually be faster to walk, from Clapham Junction. So I did. Wrapped up well - it's not snowing any more, but it is absolutely freezing out there!

From the Grant Road exit from Clapham Junction station (the one adjacent to the Overground platforms, 1 & 2), you turn right, past the bus park, and left onto Grant Road itself. Walk to the main junction, and turn right onto Battersea Park Road - the Latchmere will be on the right hand side. Eventually. So, I shivered my way into the pub, eventually, and climbed the narrow stairs to the box office. Which turns out to be a whole landing, with chairs, tables, sofas.. a copier in the corner.. must be the office for Theatre 503. At the counter, they told me it was a "pay what you can" day. (Sundays are, it seems - you can pay as little as £3, according to the website.) "So," he said, "what do you want to pay?" I asked him what the common price was and he said "£5 or £10". I checked my wallet and the only notes I had were £20s, so I handed him one and asked him to take £10. Well, I could afford it, I didn't want to take advantage, and frankly, that still represents a saving on the standard price of £15 suggested online. And then he checked whether it was one or two tickets I wanted for my £10. Honestly, this must represent the best value theatre in London. I took a seat to wait, because I was early, and was surprised to feel my hands thawing out. I hadn't realised just how cold I'd been. Of course, walking briskly does help. And I saw shelves of books that you can apparently read while waiting, as well as playtexts you can buy. A very convivial atmosphere.

Seating in the theatre is unallocated, on benches, and a little cramped. But Mucky Kid only lasts an hour anyway. And what an hour that is! It's the story of a girl who, when she was 10, killed another little girl, and has spent her life in prison ever since. She's now grown up, and the play asks us to consider whether she should ever be released. This, or course, reminds us of the case of Jamie Bulger, the little boy who was murdered by two 10-year old boys in 1993. One of them has had trouble with being released into society, and had to be re-incarcerated, although is apparently currently on release again. The play is as intense as you would expect, and the acting is terrific - I've seen a couple of these people in other things, and am continually impressed by them.

The lead actor, in particular, is mesmerising. The writing has us consider the main character's motives - she has been on the run from the prison briefly, was recaptured, and now has to tell the person in charge what she got up to while she was out. As she is made to tell and retell her story, and we come to an ever truer picture of what really happened, we are made to question our initial perceptions of her. Engrossing stuff. As I always say, you get much better bang for your buck in fringe theatre. This runs until the 7th: under-16s not admitted.

I was hungry coming out, and planned to eat in the pub. Was reading a menu when the barman came over and exclaimed that he'd thought all those had been taken in! Turns out they'd run out of food and the kitchen was closed. This was at 6:10 - they were supposed to serve food until 11! Be aware of this if you're headed that way. I had to eat elsewhere.

Well, no more films this week! (Shock, horror!) I've been to all the big releases, so it's time for something(s) new. Tomorrow, I wanted to go to Perfect Nonsense - a Jeeves and Wooster farce at the Duke of York's Theatre. I love Jeeves and Wooster - a farcical tv series about a stereotypically idiotic English aristo - played in this production by Stephen Mangan, whose performances I love - and his long-suffering "gentleman's gentleman", Jeeves. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a ticket on the official website. Undaunted, I trawled other websites, and found the cheapest tickets on www.lovetheatre.com. So I am going after all! On Tuesday, I'm in Guildford, so probably won't go to anything, and on Wednesday I'm hitting Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland! On Thursday, I wanted to go to a play called The Island, but it's completely sold out apart from day tickets (show up at the theatre on the morning and hope to get lucky) - so instead, I'm going to another play, The Dead Wait, at the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park. It's so long since I've been there that I'd actually forgotten I'd been there at all.. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

Yes, I've been busy today! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment