Tuesday 5 November 2013

Film: Milius

It took me forever to get the film ratings sorted out so I knew what to go to yesterday. Finally I did, and Gravity topped the list. Whoopee! Sadly, on closer inspection, I discovered that it's not showing anywhere until Thursday, despite coming up on LondonNet as showing in some far-flung cinema today. Well, at least that gives me something decent to go to on Thursday - I'm really looking forward to it. Stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts adrift in space when their space shuttle is destroyed. Apparently, Ed Harris plays the voice of mission control. Anyway, the trailer scared the **** out of me the first time I saw it - very vertigo-inducing. And that was in 2D! which is how I'll be seeking to see it - 3D just gives me a headache.

Joint top of the list was Milius, so that's what I took myself to last night. Only showing in the Empire Cinema, Leicester Square. It was cheaper than I expected for the location - I've only been to this cinema once before and can't remember what it was the last time, but this was cheaper than most of the West End cinemas. There weren't any staff to sell me a ticket, so I got one from the machine and made my way in. The guy who took my ticket had to direct me to the door for Screen 6, which is at the far end of the lobby - confusing, since 4 & 5 are on the other side. Not as confusing as when I went through the doors though - honestly, Alice didn't have as much trouble down the rabbit hole! Basically, avoid the fire exits, keep climbing, and when you get to the sign that says "Empire 6", instead of "Empire 6 This Way", that's the door.

Screen 6 is, apparently, the smallest screen here, and it shows. It only seats 26, in three rows. In fact, when I was choosing my seat, it wouldn't let me take the front row. Indeed, I wouldn't have wanted to - the screen itself is far too big for such a small room, and even the second row, which I had chosen, was a bit too close. I'd recommend the back row in this screen. But I was ok. I don't know about the couple that left just as I arrived though - were they just in the wrong place, or did they find it all too cramped? The seats themselves are marvellously comfortable - plush, with sufficiently high backs that you can rest your head, and they recline automatically. Lovely..

This is a film for film buffs. It's the biography of John Milius, the famous screenwriter. Responsible for, among others, Apocalypse Now (for which he was Oscar-nominated), Dirty Harry, Conan the Barbarian, and Evel Knievel. The appearances onscreen are from a Who's Who of Hollywood royalty - including his BFF, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucas, who went to school with him, Harrison Ford, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Richard Dreyfuss, Clint Eastwood, George Hamilton, James Earl Jones, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Charlie Sheen, Kathleen Kennedy.. the list goes on and on. So, lots of clips of your favourite movies - I was in heaven. It's extremely well done too.

The last third of the film deals with the stroke he had a few years ago, which rendered him unable to speak. Really sad - Steven Spielberg describes it as the worst thing to happen to any of his friends. But he is recovering, slowly. As they say though, it's the worst fate to befall such a brilliant raconteur.

Coming out is nearly as confusing as going in. Remember, avoid the fire exits and you'll get out eventually. The lobby, full of ample leather sofas, was empty as I arrived but was now buzzing. And I went home with the yen to cook a pie, which I bought enroute, only to find that the oven wasn't working. Well, I'll have another bash at it tonight! and the internet wasn't working either, which might be a bigger problem. I'll have a look at that too. But that's why this blog was delayed until today, and a long-running meeting, followed by lunch, meant it was delayed until now. Never mind.

Tonight is looking like No Fire Zone: the Killing Fields of Sri Lanka - showing in Riverside Studios, which seems on the borderline of too far to walk, so I shall probably get the bus. Films looking likely for the next couple of days as well - but watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment