Sunday 10 November 2013

Film: Blue is the Warmest Colour

If Blue is the Warmest Colour hadn't had such an interesting trailer, I wouldn't have dragged myself out of bed this morning to see it. Turns out it isn't properly opening for a couple of weeks - today was a special preview. Well, anyway, it was a sunny morning..

So I made my way into the Curzon Soho, just off Chinatown. Now, you'd think Sunday morning would be one of the quieter times in London. Not at all! The traffic was completely backed up down our road, whatever was on - you don't normally see traffic on our road at all. Maybe there was a detour. Then there were all these people with dogs - I'd forgotten there was a dog show in Earl's Court. Not that that was responsible for all the traffic..

The Tube was packed as well, but I eventually made my way in. Only to discover a long queue in front of the cinema! As someone ahead of me remarked, he'd never seen a queue outside that cinema before! Well, you know why they were all there.. Fortunately, the film was showing in Screen 1 and there was room for all of us.

So, this is a French film about a young girl, Adele, who's finding herself, shall we say. In fact, the original French title, La Vie d' Adele (Adele's Life), suits it much better I think. The short version of the story is that her first love is a blue-haired lesbian. This is not, however, a short film, running at one minute shorter than three hours. Now, I've often had a problem with French film, which I've found overly introspective. Well, I've never seen more introspective than this, but the film is actually excellent. We spend 90% of the time watching closeups of Adele. At school. In bed. Eating. Actually a pretty good way of putting us inside her head.

The sex is intense. (Wasn't like that when I was at school!) There's one sex scene with a boy, but much more intense are those with the blue-haired girl, when she finally gets together with her. So, hold onto your hats, folks! A French blue movie, for sure.. and at 11 o'clock on a Sunday morning. :-) O dear! In fact, the guy to my right very obviously had trouble with the first lesbian sex scene, which must have lasted ten minutes.. he looked very uncomfortable indeed.

Yeah, it's good, just leave a large block of time. I'm glad I got to see it at a weekend.

For tomorrow, LondonNet told me there was something called Pandas showing at Riverside Studios, but Riverside doesn't seem to have heard about it, so it's Calais: the Last Border at the Tricycle Cinema instead. Now, I've seen plays here, but not a film yet. Be interesting to check out the cinema. And I can get the Overground straight there. Cool.

PS I found the USB cable, so yesterday's photos are now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment