Monday 7 October 2013

The World of Extreme Happiness

As I said before, I was looking ahead and saw The World of Extreme Happiness. Thinking it sounded interesting, I went looking for deals, and came across a Time Out offer that was only good until Wednesday. So I said I'd go tonight.

Despite a signal failure at Gloucester Road, I made it in time, and there were no crowds at The Shed tonight. It was up to them what ticket to allocate me - all I was guaranteed was that it would not be a restricted view. I ended up in the front row, at a corner. Which was fine. Seating is on folding chairs, which are a bit uncomfortable after a while, but ok - and the floor was covered in sawdust.

The play deals with a girl born into poverty in the Chinese countryside, who hates her lot and decides to better it by going to the city. However, in the way of such things, all is not rosy there either. The story deals with many contemporary Chinese issues, such as female suicide, female infanticide, the Chinese obsession with self-help gurus (warning: this section contains flashing lights), and Mao's Great Leap Forward. So far, so educational.

The story is a good one, and the climax compelling. The lead actress is amazing, particularly at the end, when she has to change character dramatically. The play is obviously driven by intense political feeling. Only problem is a couple of the male actors, who come across as quite wooden. In particular, the first scene, in the countryside, feels forced. Maybe it just doesn't translate well.. it certainly comes across strangely. The play does improve after that, but Chimerica it ain't. Runs until the 26th.

Next is looking like another film - was going to be The Crash Reel, but I see its IMDB rating has suddenly plummeted! Actually, I just checked, and the same is true of a whole heap of films. Unfortunately, LondonNet seems to be down just now, so I can't check whether the films that have newly risen in the rankings are still showing, or when and where. Have to leave the decision hanging until tomorrow.. For Thursday, I've booked a play called Handbagged. Showing at The Tricycle, it's a comedy about the famously frosty relationship between the Queen and the late Baroness Thatcher. Sounds good..

No comments:

Post a Comment