Thursday 17 October 2013

The Light Princess

Phew! Worra night. I had three flat viewings and had to go straight to the National afterwards for The Light Princess. Fortunately, all my timings worked ok, and the last viewing was in Shepherds Bush, so I had researched my route on Google Maps and just took the Central Line from there, changed to the Jubilee Line to Waterloo, and knew my route from there to the National anyway - I've been often enough, it's just been a while.

It's actually the first time I wasn't rushing to get to the National! I collected my ticket, and, as usual, immediately got lost. See, I was looking for the Lyttleton, and all I could see were lifts to the Olivier. Figures - I can never find them when I'm looking for them. Anyway, I bravely continued to the back of the lobby, where I found the Lyttleton Cloakroom. Yay! No sign of a door into the theatre though. I ventured to the right, and finally found a door. Getting there. (Signs would be cheating, I suppose.) Mind you, I needed the Circle - these were stalls, so I'd need to go upstairs. But you need to be very careful in the National - the stairs all go to different places. I finally found stairs to the Lyttleton Circle. Whee! (Never did notice the lifts they mention on the website.) And when I got upstairs, of course, I had to go round the other side, because that would be the side I was sitting on. But I still made it in time, incredibly. And trudged all the way up to the back row, where the seating is as comfy as anywhere else and the view is absolutely fine. Don't bother with the more expensive tickets - the back is just as good.

The Light Princess is a musical fantasy by Tori Amos, in which a princess takes to the air after the death of her mother - she floats. It's an allegory of her avoidance of unpleasant feelings. Meantime, in the rival kingdom, the little crown prince does the opposite, becoming morose after his mother's death. Between the two is an impenetrable wilderness. And from there the fairytale unfolds.

Don't be put off if you're not into fairytales - I wouldn't have come myself, or enjoyed it, if this had been an ordinary fairy story. But, of course, the floating princess is absolutely fascinating to watch. They use a combination of wires and black-clad acrobats to keep her airborne, and it is intriguing to watch them manoeuvering her around the stage. And to see how she manages to keep singing throughout. And the music is incredible - it soars, and moved me to tears. And I wasn't the only one. I wish I could get a recording of it.

It's a pity this is recommended for 13+ .. I don't really think the little 'uns would be bothered by it, and they are traditionally the target market. Runs until the 9th January. Highly recommended.

And I was floating somewhat myself, as I crossed the bridge to go home a more direct way. For I found a flat that I want, and am in the process of organising to get it. My days in my current flat are numbered!

For today, I'm back to Ireland, and going to the ballet of Cinderella tomorrow. It'll be good to have something of a rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment