Saturday 5 October 2013

Scenes from a Marriage

Made it this time! Despite pushing through the weekend crowds. It's a while since I've been here on the weekend. And, as usual for the St James Theatre, I was upgraded. Really, you'd be mad to book anything but the last row for this theatre - it's never more than half full, you'll always be upgraded. And, you see, the last row is cheaper.. As I've said before, go for an aisle seat. I overheard a man remark, at the interval, how odd it is, for a new theatre, that the seats are so cramped. Alternatively, there are some seats near the front that have unrestricted legroom - but generally, be aware.

Scenes from a Marriage, by Ingmar Bergman, is exactly that. There's a screen behind the stage, on which numbers are displayed to tell us which scene we're on. This occurs while the stage in general is in darkness, which is when scene changes are effected. All the furniture is piled up on either side, and brought on as required.

Most of the action centres around the same couple, taking us through several years of their lives. We meet them when he's 40, she's 37, they have two little girls and are contented with their lot. Well, of course, that doesn't last..

The first act was a bit ho-hum, and, as an elderly lady remarked as she was passing on her way out at the interval, there were several occasions when she knew what was coming next. The second act is worth sticking around for though - it's a hum-dinger. All in all, a good piece, although, for my money, not as good as Fifty Words, which dealt very passionately with the same subject, and which I saw back in June. Mind you, that could be just my preference - this is more cerebral. Lack of passion is one of this couple's problems.

Tomorrow will likely be a film again. Now, having eliminated such gems as a documentary about a year in the life of a family of Transylvanian shepherds (really, my patience has a limit!), the highest rated on my list are two films showing in the middle of the day - one in Hampstead, the other in Piccadilly. Thing is, I have a flat viewing at 3 - and while I'm sure I'd be back for it, still, I wouldn't be able to relax. So that leaves The Machine, which turns out to be the closing gala of the Raindance Festival (hah! Should've known better than to predict I wouldn't be going to anything else in it..) That's on in the evening, and should be fine. Except it costs all of £25.. o well, that's less than today's play..!

No comments:

Post a Comment