Wednesday 30 October 2013

Restaurant: Taiwan Village

Well, I've been exhausting myself dragging cases between flats, and I was up early this morning to go to the Guildford office. So, having learned, by way of an online manual, how to use the washer-dryer in my new place, and put on a wash, I figured I'd earned a bite to eat. Out.

I'd passed a place called Taiwan Village on the way to the old flat with my case, and noticed that they had General Tso's chicken on the menu. So that caught my attention. Because that's my all-time favourite. Also, there is an attractive entry, and the prices are very attractive.

So, when I came back with a case full of stuff, which I dumped in the new place, I made my way there. I was swiftly seated - but I was lucky; the place is small enough, and even late-ish on a Wednesday night I got the last table. The décor is nice, although I didn't see much of it, seated, as I was, just inside the door. Some strategically placed, and nicely varnished, wood blocks your view of the door and maintains privacy. I ordered "special" egg rolls and, of course, the aforementioned General Tso's chicken, which is in the Taiwan-specific section at the back of the menu. And the (slightly) more expensive of the two wines available by the glass. I have a policy of going for the next-priced wine above the house wine - I find it tends to be much nicer.

A rather apologetic waiter came to me shortly after I'd ordered, to say they didn't have any "long" wine glasses left and did I mind having a "short" glass? I dubiously agreed, and was duly served my wine in a brandy glass. Well, that's a first! Anyway, it was very nice. But no match for the food, which was spectacular. I made a point of saying that continually to them. The egg rolls were filled with minced beef, and were the most succulent I've ever had. The chicken was delicious. I skipped dessert, having a second glass of wine instead. Truly, a find - and just five minutes' walk from my new flat. Well now! There's a minimum charge of £15, but you would get a full dinner for that. As I said to the smiley proprietor as I was paying - "You might be seeing me again". Oh, they definitely will. A nice touch they have is that they hold the door for anyone leaving. Caveat - it took them a long time to find me a fork (I'm woeful with chopsticks!)

Well, the man with a van isn't free until Friday, which leaves me tomorrow night to do as I please. Wheee! Previous plan was a ghost walk - we'll see. I would enjoy it - always good to see the old city anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment