Tuesday 29 October 2013

London Dungeon

We set off in good time for the London Dungeon this evening. A packed Tube disgorged us at Westminster, and we had time to take a few photos. From the steps leading to Westminster Bridge - as Helen pointed out, the crowds on the bridge itself made that a less feasible option!

We arrived at the Dungeon about half an hour before the start time printed on our prepaid ticket, but they let us in anyway. We had a photo taken with props, which we had the option to buy on the way out (the photo, not the props!), and then began a long, long queue.. we were indoors for this bit, and the queue, as was explained to us, was in different stages. I must say, they did all they could to make the process entertaining for us, with plenty of sound effects, a scary film, and plenty to look at along the way. Honestly, one of the best queueing systems I've seen. This process ended at the ticket desk, after which there is the option of toilets before the tour proper starts.

And what a tour it is! They've done wonderful things with pumpkins.. Along the way you meet, in chronological order, Henry VIII, Guy Fawkes, Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd, and Jack the Ripper. There's a boat ride with a difference, which isn't the only point on the tour where you're destined to get wet. Most of the scenes are interactive, and the costumed actors are terrific. Highlight has to be the "drop ride", which you do have the option to skip, as you exit the same way whether you do the ride or not - but I highly recommend it. Although the Dungeon has no cloakroom, at the beginning of the drop you leave your bags under the stage facing you; you return there at the end of the ride. Even though the wait is rife with safety warnings, really, you're well secured and it's suitable for all but very small people, pregnant women, and those who jump if you say "boo"! And the latter probably wouldn't go to the Dungeon anyway.

You exit, as always, through the giftshop, which has a wide range of scarifying goods - the t-shirts, however, I found to have unrealistically small sizes. You also have the option to purchase the photo that was taken at the beginning and the photo of yourself that they sneakily take as the ride drops. I liked that one, but the price was a bit steep, I thought, at £10. All-in-all though, a terrific attraction, as it always was!

We ate afterwards at Cucina restaurant, just around the corner, where the prices are very reasonable, the minestrone is terrific, and the chicken kiev uses garlic butter for a change, not just garlic sauce. Helen also proclaimed the calamari and the meatballs very tasty. Service is swift and friendly. Only downside is that I got way, way too much food.. I couldn't manage a dessert, which I'm sure would have been delicious.

No going out tomorrow, I'm in Guildford. On Hallowe'en itself, I may have to move the rest of my stuff, for lack of other opportunities - so probably won't be heading out that day. I shall have to content myself with scary stuff online instead. Then I'm in Ireland for the weekend. So, to the best of my recollection, I now don't have anything booked until the office Christmas party on the 20th December. But I'm sure I'll find a film to go to on Monday! Of course, they're not advertised just yet - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment