Thursday 10 October 2013

Handbagged

As I thought, the Tricycle is the theatre that's confusing on Google Maps Streetview, because there's a huge sign advertising it, with what looks like an entrance underneath - but the actual entrance is a couple of doors down. Not an issue when you're actually there, since you can't see the sign!

I was in less of a hurry this time than the last time I was here, and had a little chance to look around. There seem to be two stages, and there's a cinema. A large bar area that serves food - which I could have done with, I hadn't had time to eat before coming. Not enough time for that though, so I just took my seat. I was in the second row from the back, on the balcony - the seating is erected on scaffolding, and a bar did cross my line of vision to the rear of the stage, but didn't impede my view of the front, or my enjoyment of the show. From their accents, I noticed a lot of Americans in the audience, as people took their seats.

Handbagged is a comedy about the relationship between the sovereign and the Iron Lady. The cast consists of six actors - two for each of the ladies, and two gents. Each of the Queen and Maggie is depicted by two people - an older and younger version, dressed in similar colours (Maggie, appropriately, in shades of blue), with the actions carried out by the younger versions and the older women providing commentary. Each male actor plays a variety of characters.

Well, it's hilarious! It's also a history lesson - Maggie was PM for 11 years, and oversaw some dramatic political developments - but it's history lite. The fourth wall is frequently breached, and the youngest actor keeps reminding the others that the younger audience members don't necessarily know these things, and are not necessarily interested in the longwinded version. It's laugh-out-loud funny, all the big historical events are given a nod, and my! but the voices are terrific. Maggie's, in particular, is so realistic it's chilling. Literally chilling - I remember hearing her on telly when I was growing up, and knowing what she was responsible for, and how much hatred was directed at her, that voice always sent a shiver down my spine. Tonight, we could laugh at it. It's safe to, now.

I like the Metro's review - A clever, mischievous little pleasure with the sharp teeth of a kicked corgi. Extended until November 16. Go on, take yourself up to Kilburn and give yourself a treat, if you get the chance!

Didn't fancy a big meal on the way out, but then I saw a Chicken Cottage just past the station, so I popped in there and had one of their excellent grilled 1/2 chickens. It's been an age since I ate there! Meant I had a chilly wait between trains on the way home, but it was worth it. And now I know where the waiting room is at Willesden Junction.

So, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Looking at a film called Ida for next Monday, then it's Black Jesus on Tuesday. Back to Ireland for the ballet of Cinderella, and two operas, Aida and Nabucco. And the London Dungeon on the 29th. And our office Christmas party is on the 20th December. We're having Christmas Dinner at the Greenhills hotel, Limerick. And that's all I've booked for this year. So far!

No comments:

Post a Comment