Tuesday 1 October 2013

Film: Prisoners

Went to see Prisoners last night - late-ish, and it's a long film, which is why I didn't have a chance to get the blog in afterwards. Had time to grab a bite at Nando's first - it's getting increasingly uncomfortable though, they're so busy, and when my food finally did arrive, the garlic bread was cold.

Well, whatever has happened to the Odeon Kensington? That's twice in a row now they've had someone standing there, ready to take my ticket! Heavens, they must be sickening for something.. anyway, it was gratifying to get an extra discount last night, for Film Fan Monday. I didn't realise you could get that in-cinema, must remember in future if I'm going to the Odeon on a Monday. Saves a booking fee, and, as usual, has the added advantage that you're not held to it if your plans change. Sadly, it didn't help their attendance, all the same - there weren't half a dozen of us in Screen 1 for this. (I see they've moved Rush down to Screen 2 - interesting decision. Although I don't know what their attendance was like at the weekend.) Anyway, it helped when I wanted to cough, that I wasn't disturbing many people. Nobody was sitting near me - I did as I was supposed to, and sat in the front four rows, which are unreserved. Nobody else did, but all sat in the reserved section. Whether they'd reserved, I don't know. But anyway, I think the front rows are fine.

Prisoners stars Hugh Jackman as the father of a little girl that goes missing, along with her friend, when they go out alone and weren't supposed to. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the investigating officer. It's set in small-town Canada, although there isn't any scenery to speak of. And my, is it bleak! But oh, as you'll read in the reviews, such beauty the cinematography brings to the bleakness! It's beautifully shot. And for lovers of a good thriller, this is a must-see. Such twists and turns to a story, I haven't seen in an age. Bet you don't see it coming! The critics murmur about the other actors not having much of a part to play, but the story is so powerful that there isn't room for much grandstanding. Highly, highly recommended.

Unusually, I'm at a play tonight - Time Out must be sending people to review plays again, there's a whole batch of new ones near the top of the listings. So, I'm going to see The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, by Brecht, at the Duchess Theatre. I've been here once before, and, as I recall, found it hard to find the box office in the crush (it's straight ahead), found the decor plain, and the seating above average for comfort, in the dress circle. Well, lastminute.com played a blinder and, as usual, provided the cheapest tickets. And, with them, you might always be upgraded. Tomorrow night, I'm off to see Blue Jasmine at last - the new Woody Allen film, starring Cate Blanchett as the "Woody Allen" character, full of neuroses.  But apparently, this is an atypical Woody Allen film. Alec Baldwin plays her ex-husband, and Peter Sarsgaard her new love interest. I hear good things..

No comments:

Post a Comment