Wednesday 9 October 2013

Film: Insidious: Chapter 2

Whee! I finally got to see Insidious: Chapter 2! As I say, very highly rated for a horror film, but still not so high that I got to see it quickly. It has been showing since Friday 13th (yeah, I don't think that was an accident) September. There were only a few people there, but then it was the early evening showing on a Wednesday. There was a couple that were obviously there on a date - she was brandishing a couple of red roses. Well, they do say that horror films are the way to go, so she cuddles into you for protection.. Me, I have something of a different reaction to horror films. I wouldn't be a great horror date - I'd be more interested in the horror.

Directed, again, by James Wan, and with the same cast as before (plus some newcomers), this starts where Insidious left off. The same night, in fact. So it does really help to have seen the first film. Not to give anything away, but there was an old lady in black, and a hand on Renai's shoulder, and she just turned around and.. So, in this film, all these points are dealt with. Very thoroughly. And we find out exactly who the old lady is! It's worth seeing for that alone.

If you liked Insidious, you'll like its sequel. And yes, just like its IMDB rating, it is better than the original. In particular, the scary background noise that accompanied every single unexplained opening of a door is much less prevalent here, and used only when there is real horror. The same spooky elements that made the original so good are all back, and there are some interesting tie-ins to events in the first film. Terrific - Hallowe'en starts here! I loved it.

Tomorrow night is Handbagged, at the Tricycle. It's a hilarious-sounding play about the relationship between the Queen and Maggie. I've only been to the Tricycle once before - good impression, but I shall have to remind myself how to get there. Black Jesus on Tuesday, the ballet version of Cinderella, and the operas Aida and Nabucco, in Ireland next, and the London Dungeon on the 29th. Still haven't sorted something decent to do on Hallowe'en itself..

No comments:

Post a Comment