Wednesday 9 October 2013

Film: In a World...

If you read the last blog, you'll know that I was up in the air about what to go to yesterday. Film, yes, but which? The IMDB ratings were all over the place, and after I sorted them out, with some surprises, LondonNet was down and I couldn't check where, when, or whether, the films were showing. Had to wait until today.

Mind you, I had a fair idea I'd be going to In a World... it's been at the same rating for a while, and was now at the top of my list - along with two older films that I wasn't as keen on seeing, and turned out not to be showing anymore anyway! And so I got to use the first of the two Amazon Local vouchers I bought a while ago, for cheap Odeon tickets, because the Odeon is the only place it's on. Actually, I have enough Odeon points to get a free ticket anyway, but they don't have an expiry date, and the vouchers do. And so I headed into the Odeon on Panton Street, which, I must say, is getting a tad scruffy around the edges.

The strange title relates to the content of the film. This is all about voiceover artists. (Now, there's something you don't come across very often!) Y'see, it relates to the way some trailers start with the phrase "In a world..." So, we have this 31-year-old vocal coach, whose father is a famous voiceover artist, but who has never, herself, achieved the same level of success. And he thinks she never will, because it's a man's game. The story itself is pretty predictable. She finds success, despite his resistance, and despite some sleazy competition. She finds love, and her family draws closer together. Her sister is played by Michaela Watkins, whom I've seen in a trailer for a film called Enough Said, in which she stars, and the film producer who gives our star a voiceover job on a trailer is played by Geena Davis. It's a while since I've seen her - she has definitely had a facelift, she can barely move her jaw. We also see our star giving accent coaching to Eva Longoria, and there's an Irish guy whose accent she keeps trying to get. And his accent is only slightly exaggerated!

Well, it seems that the star also directed and wrote this. And it worked out really well for her! It might have a predictable story, but it's a joy to watch. It's quirky, it's very funny, it's way more intelligent than your average comedy, and it's really interesting, because it gives an insight into an industry that we don't hear very much about. Recommended, if you get the chance.

Tonight.. is looking like Insidious: Chapter 2. Yay, I finally knocked the film list down to there! Unusually highly rated for a horror film, I still wondered, at 7.1, whether I'd get to see it.. but here we are at last. Directed, again, by James Wan, it has pretty much the same cast as Insidious. I hear rumours that it's better - it's certainly rated higher. Looking forward to it - I do love my psychological horror! Tomorrow, going to see Handbagged, which is a comedy about the strained relationship between Liz & Maggie. For next Tuesday, I've booked to see Black Jesus, showing at the Finborough Theatre, which is walking distance from here. They seem to be going strong, despite the closure of the wine bar downstairs. It would actually have been cheaper if I'd seen it this week - it's a policy they have - but that would have prevented me having enough time to go see Insidious! Anyway, they're cheaper on Tuesdays, which is handy, since that's when I'm going. Going to a few things in Ireland after that - Cinderella (ballet), and the operas Aida and Nabucco. And, feeling Hallowe'eny, I'm off to the London Dungeon on the 29th. Mwah-hah-haah!

No comments:

Post a Comment