Tuesday 3 September 2013

Home

Went to see Home tonight, in the Shed at the National Theatre. I thought I'd never make it on time, if at all - the train stopped four times between stations. But we just made it in decent time. Lordy, but I am out of practice at climbing the steps up to the Hungerford Bridge! Well, it's a not insignificant climb, to be fair.. and there is enough bridge to walk across afterwards that you can get your breath back!

Now, I've had trouble finding venues at the National before - well, they have three theatres in the main building, before you even get around to the Shed. The Shed follows in their glorious tradition of confusing the punters. I have never seen anyone do it so well.

Tip 1: The entrance is not accessible from the near side of the building, as you come from the Hungerford Bridge. This side is blocked off, and going there is a waste of time. Go round the other side.

Tip 2: Yes, the entrance is through the Shed Bar, in the main building. Most easily accessed from right beside the Shed. On the aforementioned side.

Tip 3: The box office is at the far end of the bar. This simple fact is impossible to ascertain right before a popular show, when the bar is full of customers. There is no sign that says "box office" or gives any hint of its location.

Having negotiated these hurdles, I entered the Shed. For this show, based on the true stories of homeless people, I'd read that the whole place is decorated like a homeless shelter. Yep, I suppose so - although I was rushing to get in, so didn't pay it much mind, except to note that it reminded me of the backpackers hostels I used to stay in, back in the day. It did vex me that entrance to the theatre proper was through two fire doors, one either side of the stage, that really didn't look as though we were meant to go through them. Frankly, I'd had such trouble finding my way in, I could have done without that. Anyway, my seat was upstairs, Row K. Upstairs I found without difficulty. Row K? Here we go again. The row lettering turns out to be scribbled with ballpoint pen on scraps of paper at the aisle, a bit over from the stairs. So I nearly accused some people of being in my seat, before considering that perhaps this wasn't my row.. Turned out I had rather a good seat, just on the corner, so good legroom - although that wasn't a problem in general, I think - and in the front row of the gallery. Cool! Comfy seats too.

Well, the place was packed - and I don't blame them. This play is excellent. Sounds a bit po-faced, dealing with social problems and such - but it's hilarious. And it's a musical (!). Well, in parts. With one young woman who could give Larvell Jones, in the Police Academy films, a run for his money in reproducing sounds. Unusually, I actually regretted being upstairs for this show, because the people downstairs were closer to the action, and I think for this one, that might have been good. Terrifically edited, entertaining, real. Great performances, musically and otherwise. 10 out of 10, folks! I was happy to join in the standing ovation. Runs until Saturday, so hurry - advance booking essential.

Despite the panting climb coming across the bridge, I'm always happy to return across it:


That blaze of multi-coloured lights is the National Theatre, with the dome of St. Paul's visible, on the other bank, to the left.

And tomorrow night, I'm off to see Afraid of the Dark, which is billing itself as something new in scary theatre. Got a cheap ticket from Living Social (thanks Helen!). Hope it lives up to the hype.. on Thursday, I'm thinking of going to the pictures, but watch this space, because there's been a shake-up in the IMDB ratings. So what I go to next in the cinema is, for the moment, a mystery..

No comments:

Post a Comment