Thursday 5 September 2013

Film: Winter of Discontent

Tonight, I went to see the film Winter of Discontent, in the Institute of Contemporary Arts. Just to be sure I remembered where it was - it being a while since I was there - I consulted Google Maps, only to find them giving me what I knew were not the best directions, despite not being strictly incorrect. They had me changing Tube lines to go to Piccadilly Circus - when I knew the direct Tube to Embankment brought me just as close - and then the walking directions had me going to the back of the ICA. Just as well I've been before.. I've reported the problem. They've been having a few of those lately.

Anyway, as usual, I left it a bit tight and had something of a brisk walk. Didn't have time to peruse their excellent bookshop - but I did arrive while the ads were still on and the trailers hadn't started yet.

This is a really excellent film, dealing with the revolution of 2011 in Egypt, and set in Cairo. It focuses specifically on a young couple - he involved with what the government considers seditious activities on the internet, she a television presenter. The film shows them break up over his commitment to change, while she remains loyal to the establishment - but we see her gradual awakening to what's going on around her, and the change in her priorities. We follow their story up to the point of Mubarak's resignation.

For a film that's set largely in police torture units, and shows actual torture scenes, as well as street protests, it's surprisingly gentle, and thoughtful. The cinematography is beautiful, and the characters compelling. Nearly every scene makes you think - when it isn't gripping you with suspense. A real tribute to the revolution, and a credit to the filmmakers.

Just a thought, though. I'm currently reading a book about Al-Jazeera, the Arab tv news station, famous in the Arab world for not being a mouthpiece for any government, but instead reporting fairly and truthfully. And, out of curiosity, I logged onto their website. Where I noticed a story about how Egypt is blocking their signals. What does the interim military government not want broadcast..? Ironic, given that much of the film concerns media censorship. Plus ca change..

Anyway. Tomorrow is a trilogy of documentaries by Satyajit Ray, an Indian filmmaker, at the British Film Institute. And we get an extra short film at the end, which is nice. I'm there again on Saturday, for Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth. Yes, I'll get through this film list eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment