Monday 2 September 2013

Film: Plein Soleil

"Purple Noon", the English title - so I wore some purple. Somebody being imaginative there - that ain't what it means. Anyway, I was reluctant at first to go see it, since it's the French version of a film I've already seen - The Talented Mr. Ripley - but given that the IMDB rating is higher than for that film, I relented. I noticed, in the film review in Friday's Evening Standard, that it's a reissue.

So I set off on the clunky District Line to Earl's Court.. which stopped twice on the way.. but just got me there in time to catch a Piccadilly Line into town - because this is only showing in the Odeon Panton Street. I do like that Odeon have discounts on Mondays - hadn't noticed that before. I had the usual confusion on exiting the Tube at Piccadilly Circus, but after a minute orienting myself, I headed off and was soon there.

It's showing in what must be the smallest Screen 1 I've ever seen. Anyway, there was hardly anyone there. The air conditioning was nice, despite coming on noisily a few times during the showing. And so to the film - which I see has been remastered.

And it does look well! This was made in 1960, and looks perfect. Straight away, I can see the attraction over the remake in 1999 - Alain Delon looks much less worried than Matt Damon, playing the same role 39 years later. The film is, therefore, less depressing. Not to mention that they've cheered up the ending. But there are as many variations to the ending of this story as there are versions. To each their own. Personally, I prefer this version. Haven't read the book. But I do recommend this, to anyone who likes a good thriller.

Cool busker in Piccadilly Station on the way home, playing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. With a cheery grin, and a band of muppets. Well, you couldn't fail to give him something..

Tomorrow, I'm off to see Home, at the Shed, in the National Theatre - or just outside it. I have passed it, but never been inside. It resembles a large, red, upside-down table. And somewhere in this construction is a box office, where I must pick up my ticket. On Wednesday, I'm off to see something new - just started today - and interesting, called Afraid of the Dark, premiering at the Charing Cross Theatre.  Under-12s not admitted. Not suitable for those of a nervous disposition, or with heart conditions. Playwright to remain anonymous for now. Yes, hmm. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment