Monday 16 September 2013

Film: Classe Tous Risques

I wasn't intending to go out tonight - I rarely do after a trip to Guildford, I have to get up so early - but I was home early, and it was so sunny I didn't feel like staying in all evening. Having said that, it was dark by the time I left, but anyway!

So I went to see Classe Tous Risques, part of the Claude Sautet season at the BFI. There had been a couple of higher-rated (on IMDB) films on my list that were showing tonight, but I wasn't ready in time for them, so Classe Tous Risques it was. I just made it as they were calling for people to take their seats - they take punctuality seriously in the BFI. An usher pointed out to the people that came behind me that there were programme notes (they always supply them), but they probably wouldn't have time to read them. And I settled into my comfy seat and waited as the lights went down.

This is a thriller, made in 1960, French. It's good, it's stylish, and it's always interesting to see how different life was back then. Like how you had to go to a post office to make an international call - there were phone booths, and you asked the people working there to place a call for you and waited for it to be patched through. My, they could've done with mobiles.. I was also intrigued by the shot of the petrol pump attendant in high heels. My, the sophistication!

It's sensitively done - the story of a man on the run and down on his luck, which doesn't improve through the film. It's also a story about loyalty. It ended more abruptly than I'm used to, i.e. extremely, but otherwise is very watchable, and well recommended if you like French film, or film from the 60s. I'm thinking of seeing another Claude Sautet film on Thursday - Les Choses de la Vie. Was won over by this song from it..

Going to Edward II in the National tomorrow evening - a very modern production, apparently, of a play by Christopher Marlowe. Should be interesting. And I'm going to see the much-hyped Rush on Wednesday. So, a week of contrasts! When is it not..?

No comments:

Post a Comment