Saturday 7 September 2013

Film: Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth

I wasn't so keen on seeing Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth, really. The name didn't mean anything to me, although, once I saw her on screen, I remembered having once seen her on a talk show. But the IMDB rating for this film is high, and that's usually a good recommendation. Certainly, I've benefitted from following that as a guide to what to see.

I arrived after the ads had started and they'd closed the door. They're strict at the British Film Institute, and there is absolutely no admission if you arrive more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time. Within that 10 minute period, they might let you in, but might not seat you in your reserved seat - depends how much disruption that would cause. So I was relieved to be shown to the seat I had booked, which I chose for its proximity to the centre of the theatre - a good place to watch a film, generally. And, groping my way to my seat in the dark, I was pleasantly surprised to note that they have the numbers on the seat backs, as well as the undersides. This makes them much more visible, and is much appreciated in such a situation. Never noticed it before.

Well, I've been vindicated again. The IMDB ratings are a great way to choose films - I've so often been pleasantly surprised. Including tonight. The film is fascinating, dealing with Alice's family, her upbringing in Georgia, her going to college in Alabama, her involvement with the Civil Rights movement, her marriage to a white, Jewish lawyer. The story of her family - poor sharecroppers - is fascinating. The story of her marriage and the shock of their respective families is hilarious. The footage of civil rights demonstrations is shocking. Then they left for New York, she got into feminism, her career took off in a big way, and he decided she'd be better off without him. There's a large section devoted to The Color Purple, her most famous book. And throughout, we have snippets of her sparkling poetry and luminous prose. Highly recommended. Even if you have no interest in The Color Purple!

Remembered my phone this time:



It's not quite as spectacular as in the full dark, but the twilight is nice. And in the second shot, you can see the Shard behind the National Theatre.

I ate in La Piazza again afterwards. I won't say "never again", because there are some things they do really well - but you do need to take care. The starter of garlic bread was delicious. The veal was supposed to come with a mushroom sauce, which it did - but I don't remember prawns being mentioned on the menu. My plate was covered in them. Ah well. The sauce itself was very so-so, and I must say the best part of the main course were the chips. Interestingly, although it took just 25 minutes to order, be served, and eat my starter and main, it took another 25 minutes to get anyone to bring me the dessert menu! I had to ask her twice, and then find the other person working there to take my order. Beware the server with the plait, she doesn't give a damn.. I did leave a tip - less than usual - but I thought seriously about it first.

Tomorrow is looking like a play called Cake and Congo, playing in the Latchmere pub, Battersea. I've been known to go further on a Sunday.. where would we be without London pub theatres? Monday, for the first time in a long time, I'm heading to Wandsworth, to see an Indian comedy called Jadoo. I do hope it's better than the last Indian comedy I saw..

No comments:

Post a Comment