Thursday 12 September 2013

Film: 2 Guns

2 Guns was the last of the films on my list at 7.1, so if I wasn't going to The Moo Man, this was my film option for tonight. At least it was on in Shepherds Bush, which meant I could walk, weather permitting - which it did. My, it felt good! Long time since I walked that much.

In this film, Denzel Washington plays a DEA agent and Mark Wahlberg a US Navy intelligence officer. They're working together, but undercover, and each is unaware of the other's true identity. But something bigger is going on, and they're both set up.

Recommendation; leave your brain at home for this one. It's fine if you like shoot-'em-ups, which I find boring. Which is not to say that it's terrible, it's just stupid. Ironic - last night I went to see Ain't Them Bodies Saints, rated the same on IMDB, and thought it deserved much higher. This, I thought, deserved much lower. Balances out, I guess. The plot of 2 Guns has so many holes, it's a miracle it doesn't fall apart. I got the impression that everybody stopped caring at some point. Lots of throwaway liberal stuff too - US government bad, Mexican immigrants good. That kind of thing.

But it has entertaining moments, and if you like brainless fluff, you'll enjoy watching this while eating popcorn. For me, it was pretty much a waste of time.

So, this weekend I'm back to Ireland, and on Monday I'm in Guildford. Next planned outing is Tuesday, when I'm taking a break from films, and I'm off to Edward II, in the National. Written by Christopher Marlowe, this version, however, apparently has several modern twists. Mixed reviews - I'm looking forward to it..

No comments:

Post a Comment