Wednesday 28 August 2013

Oedipus Rex & Antigone

The weather held quite nicely today, and so I took myself to the Scoop for the first time ever, to see the current production of Oedipus Rex and Antigone. Mapping out my route, I saw that the nearest Tube seemed to be London Bridge, then take a right, past Hay's Galleria (been there before), and take, not the next left, but the one after that, diagonally across the courtyard. The Scoop itself is right beside City Hall, where I've been before. Well done, Google Maps..

With plenty of food outlets nearby, I said I'd get something there beforehand, so left early. I had to get the District Line, followed by the Jubilee Line. Point of interest - the seats are very hard on the Jubilee Line! Wonder why.. (See, this is the first time I've managed to get a seat on that line!) Anyway, I found the Scoop with no difficulty at all. No distance from the station. I must say, the setting is spectacular:


In the picture, you can see the top of the Scoop, which is a sunken amphitheatre. Fortunately, you can rent cushions - £1, plus a £5 deposit. A very good idea - the steps you sit on are not only hard, but cold. You enter near the booth that is visible in the picture. That's kind of the prime viewing position - the stage is set up to play to that side. Unfortunately, it's also the highest side - so if you want to get close to the action, you have to climb down a lot of steps. And I knew I'd have trouble with my knees, when I saw the size of the steps.

Well, I'm nothing if not ingenious when it comes to working around my knees. Luckily, there's a curved walkway around the edge - for wheelchairs, I think, and the infirm. Like me. :-) Anyway, that let me get quite low down, so I just had a few steps to climb down. My, but it was tortuous. Now, I could have sat higher up, you understand, but I do like to be close to the action if I can manage it. So I scrambled down the few steps at the low side, in a most undignified manner, then, spying a spare place in the front row across the way, I niftily picked up my things and legged it across there. I was to the side, but right at the edge of the action for the subsequent proceedings. Point to note - this was very well attended, and the good seats went fast, being mostly gone by the time I got there, 20 minutes early.

As the skies darkened, the lights came on and the Greek tragedies (literally) began. In modern dress, the actors portrayed for us the story of doomed Oedipus, who was doomed to kill his father, marry his mother, and when he found out, put out his own eyes. All of which was dramatically re-enacted for us, with some actors positioned in the audience. Of course, the great thing about ancient plays is that you don't need a lot of props. Very sparse, very simple themes. At the interval, we were given feedback forms, and offered programmes for sale, and then we were into Antigone, the story of Oedipus' doomed daughter. Yes, a cheery evening it was not. But you know, the simplicity of the themes was a joy - despite the modern translations, particularly for Antigone. Well, they did inject a bit of humour. Until things deteriorated, as they do in the plots of Greek tragedies.

All in all, a terrific evening out, and free too! And afterwards, we got to enjoy the spectacular show that the City puts on every evening (also free):





Did I mention I love this town? ;-) This show runs until Sunday. Worth a trip.

So, I have another of those cheap, lastminute.com Theatre Fortnight tickets for Fences, with Lenny Henry, tomorrow. And I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend, then to the pictures on Monday. I wasn't sure about seeing Plein Soleil, which is essentially a French version of The Talented Mr. Ripley. But it's supposed to be good, and I relented. Booked it, as it's in the Odeon and I get a discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment