Friday 23 August 2013

Lille: Arrival

Did my best to pack before work this morning. Had (almost) everything ready, then discovered it wouldn't go into the case, and I'd have to get a bigger one. So this dragged on through the day, with me having to go back for things I'd forgotten. And that bigger case is a b**ger to carry up or down stairs - so I decided, when getting the Tube to King's Cross St Pancras, I'd walk to Earl's Court, where there's a lift. In retrospect, a good decision.

I ended up standing, of course, on the Tube, but all went quite well until we got to Russell Square, the stop before mine. Where we stopped, and the driver told us there was a signal failure, or something, further down the line and we'd be stopped there until further notice, and passengers were advised to find other routes to their destinations. What?! Why not keep going till the next stop? Not only was it my destination, but has more transport alternatives for other passengers. Anyway, after a few minutes, that's what they did - phew!

Found the Eurostar check-in without difficulty. Needed the toilet with some urgency, so made for that first. Bit smelly, despite being actually cleaned on the spot. Anyway, having survived that, I made my way back to check-in, where I was most distressed that I didn't need any assistance from the dishy Eurostar employee that approached me. Also mildly embarrassed to subsequently discover that I'd forgotten to do up my zip after the toilet. The departure lounge was depressingly full, but I eventually found a seat. Boarding started about twenty minutes before departure, the train was scruffier than in the ads, but the seats were marvellously comfy, and with no scenery to speak of, a twenty-minute tunnel, and dark by the time we came out of it, I ended up dozing for most of the trip.

Needed the toilet again in Lille station - which wasn't a bit smelly - and made my way into the warm night air of Lille. Almost immediately, I began to notice beautiful old buildings, floodlit but not completely clear in the dark. Good job I charged my camera battery before coming.. I suspect tomorrow will be busy.

The Best Western Grand Hotel Bellevue backs onto the Grand Place, but the entrance is around the block. Very friendly receptionist, lovely, old-style décor. I love my room, with its big bed, blackout curtains, décor, minibar, tv - which I'm too tired to watch now, I'll just test out the bed I think. Distressed to learn that I'd have to pay for breakfast - for some reason I thought it was included. Ah well - the place is abounding in cafes. I doubt I'll starve. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment