Wednesday 7 August 2013

Film: Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa went on general release today. Well, its IMDB ratings have been bouncing around like a rubber ball. First time I saw the ratings, it was at 8.3, then 8.4, which is what it was at on Thursday. By Monday, it had gone down to 7.8, by yesterday to 7.1, and now it's back to 7.4. If I were Alan Partridge, I'd be dizzy.

They're getting better at taking tickets - I was only waiting for three minutes today.. other observation: my, the screen in Screen 5 is small! I went all the way to the second row, which is unusual for me.

Well, it's obvious, isn't it? If you like Alan Partridge, you'll like this film about him. If you don't, you won't. Also features Colm Meaney as the crazed, fired dj who takes the station hostage. I've always liked Alan Partridge, I found this funny. I think its current rating is about right - I might go for 7.5. What was nice was that, of course, being its first day on general release, most people in the cinema were fans, which meant they laughed uproariously. Always helps.

And no matter your opinion of Alan Partridge, you have to love the scene where they take the outside broadcast unit around town, playing "The Voice" by John Farnham, while people in the crowd wave placards proclaiming "Day of the Partridge". Pure cheese.

The last of my run of mainstream films is tomorrow, with The Heat.

Oh, final observation about the Odeon Kensington. The toilets - at least the ones upstairs - are so much more pleasantly fragrant than those in the Vue Shepherds Bush, it's really worth mentioning. Kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment