Friday 30 August 2013

Fences

Last night, I went to see Fences, with Lenny Henry, at the Duchess Theatre, Aldwych. This was a new theatre for me, so I looked up Google Maps to see how to get there. Even not having been there, before, I could see they were directing me wrong - they had the right destination, but not the fastest way to get there. Anyway, I've been to the Strand before, so I figured it out.

When I came onto the Strand, mind you, I got a bit lost - but not for long, and soon found the theatre. And immediately got lost again. The lobby was crowded, and the only signs I could see were for the stalls, to the left, and the dress circle, to the right. No sign of the box office. Which turned out to be in the middle, directly opposite the door - but the place was so crowded I hadn't seen it, and there was no sign. Anyway.

For once, lastminute.com didn't give me a front row seat! I was in the dress circle. Ah well. It wasn't far to climb - this isn't a big theatre. And I was well impressed - the theatre decor is spartan, in comparison with some other West End theatres, but the legroom is fine, the seats comfortable (a relief after the Scoop!), and, as far as I could tell, the view is excellent from all seats.

So, this is one of those plays set in the United States, in the period after the Second World War, among the black community. Uh-huh. My, but I've seen so many of these - and maybe that was the problem. It's basically good, and Lenny Henry plays a blinder - hasn't he come a long way since his days as a comedian! - but it left me pretty cold. I found it interesting, but the ending, in particular, perplexed me - Gabe, the main character's brother, who seems to have suffered brain damage in the war, spends several minutes doing a crazy dance centre stage, with all the other characters watching from the edge. Great. Sorry, I thought it was much too drawn-out. I get the message that was being conveyed, but was relieved when the lights went down. And duly unimpressed by the standing ovation that was happening around me. Well, as I say, it is well done in general - could just do with a trim. Booking up to the 14th September.

Afterwards, I felt like a bite to eat. Handily, there were three restaurants right across the road - an Indian, a Thai, and a Pizza Express. I didn't fancy pizza, and the Thai seemed to be closed, so I headed for the Indian, Sitar. It was nearly deserted, but there was a steady trickle of customers when I was there. The food was good, but the portions unusually small for an Indian. Well, given that I can't usually finish my portions in an Indian, that works quite well for me, but others might have an issue. They're very artistic with what they do give you:


My only complaint is with the naan bread, which is very burnt on the underside. If you go here, I wouldn't recommend that.

Back to Ireland for the weekend. I'm going to see Plein Soleil on Monday, in the Odeon in town, and for Tuesday I've booked what will probably be my last cheap theatre ticket as part of lastminute.com's Theatre Fortnight - I'm going to see Home, at the Shed, at the National Theatre. I've never been to a show in the Shed before, although I've passed it. And I thought I could hardly beat an official ticket price of £20, but lastminute.com turned up trumps again and I got it for £12. If you're planning to go to the theatre in London - run, book with lastminute.com before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment