Monday 22 July 2013

The American Plan

Finally, a couple of new plays have come high in the Time Out listings. One is sold out until at least Saturday, but I booked the other - The American Plan, showing in the St. James Theatre, for tonight. Finally, my first play of the month!

And with other events occurring today, it suddenly occurred to me that the theatre is very near Buckingham Palace.. where the announcement of the birth of the baby of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would be announced, at some point during the day.. so I left a bit early, to see whether I could catch some of the atmosphere. Just as well, there were such delays on the Tube..

Disembarking - always a relief in this heat - I headed down the road to the palace, which is only a few minutes away from the theatre. No news yet - although we were later to learn that the baby was born by this time, but the news not yet released - but the crowds were on hand:


 
 
 
(Note the bridal couple who decided to get photos taken at the scene.. and the rows of broadcasters' booths in the last photo..)
 
And then I hurried off to my play. Where, surprise, surprise, I was upgraded (having booked a seat in the back row, which is cheaper). What actually was a surprise was that I was moved to another aisle seat. I wonder whether they recognised the name, and my preferences.. if so, kudos to them for observation! I was moved four rows forward, to Row H, and actually, just before the show started, an usher told me I could move further forward again if I liked. I had noticed that the row in front of me had great legroom at the aisle, because of the curvature of the auditorium, so I duly moved there. Pay attention people - Row G has probably the best legroom in the place. At the ends, that is.
 
BTW, I noticed a woman in the row behind me with a notebook and pen. That's funny, it's not the first time.. can't remember whether it was the same woman, though. Does someone take notes on the play every night, I wonder..?
 

And so to the play, which is a delight. It's set in the Catskills in the 50s - a love story between a lonely girl with psychological problems, desperate to escape her overbearing mother, and a handsome visitor to the area. Written by Richard Greenberg, it's sparklingly witty, perfectly cast, and has a plot with more twists than your average Agatha Christie. (Not that anyone dies. Not during the play, at least.) Really, in this play, nothing is as it seems. Very highly recommended. Runs until the 10th.
 
Upon leaving, I decided to have a run along to the palace again. Sure enough, there was news. You could tell by the anthill of people piled up against the railings. They move the easel along the railings to let everyone get a view. Of course, not being willing to climb on top of anyone else, or able to fly, I hadn't a hope of actually seeing the announcement, and gave up trying after a while. I would have loved to have seen it for myself. I had doubted the sanity of announcing the news like this, but the atmosphere was terrific, and tv crews were much in abundance, looking for people to interview. And I got the news online before I left. And noticed that the London Eye, just visible over the trees, was lit up in red, white, and blue. Ahhh..
 
Had a quick Indian before I came home, in the Buckingham Balti. Which is appropriate, given that I've booked to go to an Indian film tomorrow night - Maryan. Sounds interesting, and is highly rated. It is showing in three different Cineworlds this week, but only two tomorrow, and in one of those it's showing too late to make it back at a reasonable hour, with work in the morning. So, that leaves Ilford. Well, it'll be my first time there..
(The meal was excellent, by the way, but they could really do with some air conditioning!)

No comments:

Post a Comment