Wednesday 31 July 2013

Film: Kapringen (A Hijacking)

Rated at 7.1 on IMDBA Hijacking was a film I thought I'd never get down to seeing, given that I tend to go in order of ratings. This, in fact, is the lowest-rated film I've seen since I moved here. Apart from The Moth Diaries, and that was just because I got a free ticket.

A sweltering journey in on the Piccadilly Line. I'm kind of glad I won't be here this weekend, when temperatures are predicted to rise again. I booked, because it's the Odeon and I get a discount (actually, I got this one for free, having accumulated enough points), and I was glad to be able to go straight to the machine and bypass the couple who seemed to be taking forever at the till.

It had been a toss-up between this and The Heat. Boy, am I glad I chose this one - nothing against The Heat, I'll probably see it eventually, but this is such a good film. And it was my last chance - well, today and tomorrow. After having shown in London for so long, this was its last week, and only at the Odeon Panton Street. It's a Danish film, telling the story of a Danish ship hijacked by Somali pirates, and the subsequent negotiations for the crew's release. The contrast between the tense, sweaty situation onboard and the cool, calm company offices, where the CEO is negotiating with the hostages, couldn't be more pronounced. Demonstrated at the beginning as a skilled negotiator, he finds the situation to be more than he reckoned on, or has experienced before. An understated film, it deserves far more than 7.1/10.

Tomorrow, the plan is to finally see World War Z. With it rated at 7.2, I would normally have gone to see it first, but the only accessible place it's on at a reasonable time is only showing it tomorrow - so, tomorrow it is. I'm back in Ireland for the weekend, going to the Summer Music on the Shannon festival on Saturday night, on the shores of Lough Derg.  I plan finally to see The Conjuring next week - but not on Tuesday, when I'm booked to see Red 2 - again, booked because it's in the Odeon. I haven't seen the first, but I figure that won't be an issue, and they are saying it's better than the first!

No comments:

Post a Comment