Monday 8 July 2013

Concert: LSO with Tenebrae

Tonight was the concert I had booked as part of the City of London Festival, with the London Symphony Orchestra, accompanied by Tenebrae, performing at St. Paul's cathedral. So, with my cough showing no signs of dissipating, I was worried about having a coughing fit in St. Paul's, of all places..

Anyway, Google Maps suggested taking the Tube straight to Blackfriars, from which it would be a five-minute walk, so that's what I did. As usual, the District Line took five minutes longer than Google predicted, and indeed than other lines would have taken to cover the same number of stops. But it always does, and I had plenty of time. I was looking forward to the walk through the City - being the oldest part of town, even if the original buildings are not always still standing, the streets are interesting - following old, winding routes, they hark back to a time when the roads followed the line of the buildings, rather than buildings being built along straight roads. And the walk was, indeed, only five minutes, and easier than it looked on the map.

You could hardly miss St. Paul's - it is rather large. Still, you don't see it as you approach, as it's hidden by the surrounding buildings - so it always comes as a surprise. And this was the first time I'd been inside, as I consider the entrance fee rather high. So I was curious as I climbed the steps. First impression, once inside, was that it reminded me more of an old university, or maybe a library. I don't know why, it just didn't seem like a church. As I say, that was my first impression - probably because, at first, all I could see were marble walls and candelabras. Second thought I had was that it reminded me of St. Mary's cathedral in Limerick! Now, I do know exactly where that thought came from. St. Mary's also often hosts classical concerts, and they have exactly the same candelabras..

I didn't have far to go to my seat, which was in the rear nave. So, took my seat and out with the camera:

 

(the monument in the picture on the right is to Wellington). It was, honestly, only after I'd put it away that I noticed the sign at the end of our row, forbidding photography. :-) Well, it wouldn't be my first time.. and I was by no means the only amateur photographer there this evening.

And so the concert began, with a tribute to Benjamin Britten. And, predictably, it wasn't long before the cough reared its ugly head. I was seriously considering leaving until the very nice gentleman beside me gave me a Ricola dual action cough drop. Really, it was extremely strong, with an anaesthetic action, and filled with juice. Took the whole drop before the cough was quietened, but my goodness it did the trick, for what had been a very nasty cough. I will be looking for that brand in future..

One thing that I liked about the way the concert was staged was how the choir moved around the cathedral. Songs alternated with instrumental pieces, during which the choir would up and leave for another part of the building. They started in our nave, but with the terrific acoustics, were perfectly audible from all corners. And quite the most enchanting part of the evening for me was watching the setting sun's rays illuminate the dome - the gilt blazing in the sun, then less and less as the sun moved across the sky, 'till only a corner was lit.

The musical highlights were the final pieces - Metamorphosen, by Richard Strauss, and Barber's Adagio / Agnus Dei, used memorably in The Killing Fields. I believe that St. Paul's is hosting a number of concerts during this festival - I would like to come here again, perhaps sit in a different part.. maybe the transept.

Next event I'm booked in for is also part of the festival - The Return Flight of the Earls, in St. Botolph's church on Wednesday. Should be interesting, and I will also be interested in seeing another part of the City..

No comments:

Post a Comment