Thursday 20 June 2013

The Amen Corner

Headed into town last night, to the National Theatre. It's a while since I've been here, and when I was before, I didn't follow Google Maps' suggestion, to take the Tube to Embankment and cross the bridge, because it was too **** cold! But, being a lovely evening, that was what I did last night.

After a cramped and stuffy Tube ride, despite all windows being open, we were disgorged at Embankment and off I went. Slightly panicky, given that the District Line always takes that little bit longer than it should.. So, up the steps and across the bridge. Long, long walk when you're in a hurry. Would have been very pleasant otherwise. And down the other side, and crept my way along Bankside, through the massed crowds.. again, torture when you have to be somewhere. I swear, when I was passing the building before the National Theatre, I could hear the bell calling us into the show. Eek..

There was a beggar standing at the door, holding it open for everyone and, of course, asking for spare change. I really felt bad about not giving him anything, but I was in such a hurry, and it would've taken me so long to locate my wallet, open it, etc.. Anyway, when I got in, I ascertained that the Olivier Theatre, which I had checked was the one I wanted, was on the second floor. When I was looking for the stairs, boy, was I glad to see a lift with "Olivier Theatre" over it.. which dropped us at the Olivier box office. Where there was an enormous queue. I actually couldn't understand why it wasn't better managed, given that most of us were picking up tickets, and it was start time already. Anyway, someone came out after a bit to reassure us that she had "asked the actors to stop.. acting". So we didn't miss anything.

I was seated quite close to the stage, to one side - which was just fine. And the show - The Amen Corner - which deals with the human story behind the pastor of a gospel choir in New York, 1965 - started as it meant to go on. In song. The whole show was peppered with the most wonderful gospel music - so much so that it detracted slightly from the plot. It made a nice change, just briefly, at the start of the second act, to have nobody singing and let the plot progress on its own. But that is, in no way, to detract from the singing, which was wonderful, or the show in general. The story is quite poignant, and the acting was a tour de force. I was happy to join several other audience members in a standing ovation at the end.

Currently booking up to the 14th August. Booking highly recommended - I think last night was a sell-out. Oh, and early arrival also recommended!

I looked for that beggar on the way out, but the building is a confusing one and I came out a different way. Tube was unusually crowded again on the way back - much more than usual - but at least the open windows provided some relief in the night air.

I'm in Guildford today, back to Ireland tomorrow.. I have booked for Strange Interlude on Monday, also at the National Theatre. I think I read the review of this before and decided against it, but changed my mind on a second reading. At least it's on in the Lyttleton, which, as I recall, is on the ground floor. And for Tuesday, I'm delighted to have got another of those free cinema tickets.. and this time, it's for a special preview of This Is the End, which has a much higher rating on IMDB than the last free film I went to, The Moth Diaries.. Granted, I have to go to Wimbledon to see it, but that wouldn't be the first time, or the furthest I've gone..

No comments:

Post a Comment