Monday 24 June 2013

Strange Interlude

Well, I was dubious about Strange Interlude, at the National Theatre, and I was right to be.

I was late, having mistaken the performance time, but they showed me into an unobstrusive seat, which was good of them. Being by Eugene O' Neill, the script sparkled, as it should, having won a Pulitzer. And the set was interesting, reminding me of a giant, revolving, doll's house. And that's all I can find good to say about it.

Maybe it was the rapid-fire delivery, but I thought the acting lacked any depth. And I'm sorry, but for a play that is billed as a comedy, it left me singularly cold. I found it impossible to titter at the antics of a character that is obviously mentally unbalanced and headed for disaster. I left at the interval, not a moment too soon, and was glad I'd arrived late. Can't recommend it, as I can't think of a single person I know who'd enjoy it.

Ate at the café on the way out, where I had a not-chilled white wine, and the last sandwich, which was slightly stale. Best part of the evening was strolling back across the bridge, where a busker was playing cool electric guitar, and, since it wasn't dark, and I wasn't in a hurry, I had a chance to stop and stare at the view, which is spectacular. And time to tip the busker, for once.

Here's a picture I took coming back from the much-better The Amen Corner, also showing in the National, last week..
 
Heading to the free preview of This Is the End tomorrow, which will hopefully be better and is, at least, free - and to the operatic version of Death in Venice on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment