Sunday 16 June 2013

Restaurants: Cobra & The Abbey Tavern

Visiting a friend yesterday, in West Cork, we headed to Kinsale for dinner. We had been planning to eat in Jim Edwards, but it was full, so we made for the Indian restaurant, Cobra.

After some difficulty in choosing from the extensive menu, we ordered. Staff were extremely friendly, and provided poppadums and toppings while we were deciding. I ordered samosa to start, followed by butter chicken, which I have a weakness for. My friend ordered onion bhajees, and.. something whose name I can't remember. Pilau rice, peshwari naan (another favourite of mine) and wine completed the order.

The samosas were spicier than I'm used to - the bhajees seemed to go down well. My friend's main course smelled good, and my butter chicken was lovely, although too much for me when combined with the naan, even though we shared. The rice was delicious - again, we couldn't do it justice. The wine wasn't spectacular, and as often happens, especially in ethnic restaurants, there was no choice when ordering by the glass (which turned out to be a quarter bottle). But, overall, the meal was lovely and I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

What was odd was that, although we arrived early, we were the last there by some time, and by the time we left were feeling rather self-conscious, given that the staff seemed to have nothing to do but wait for us to leave. When we left, we checked our watches - abt 9.30. On a Saturday. And the place was deserted. Hey-ho..

And so back to Clare this evening, driving through floods and lashing rain. How consistent. As the AA said in their newsletter, we had a blast of summer, and now normal service has been resumed. Back out with the waterproof woollies. My mother and I decided to go back to the Abbey Tavern for dinner this evening. It's been a while, it's one of our locals, and we've had some good meals here.

The bar and restaurant were both packed - we couldn't figure out why, until our waiter remarked that it was Father's Day. Anyway, they squeezed us in at the back of the restaurant. My mother prefers fish - one of the only options was cod, which we were told was unavailable, but that instead they were offering steamed salmon. Which is handy, as she prefers that. Me, I chose the steak.

Which was perfectly cooked - nice to see. And edible, unlike the last medium-cooked steak I ordered, in Garfunkel's. Delicious sauce. And the salmon was also well received. The chocolate cake I had for dessert, I give a 6/10. Sorry folks, but Nando's has spoiled me for chocolate fudge.. Great service made for a very enjoyable meal.

Anyhoo. Back to London on Tuesday, and to The Amen Corner on Wednesday. And, hopefully, some dry weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment