Sunday 2 June 2013

Film: It's Such a Beautiful Day

See? I said to watch this space.

The original plan was to go to Yellow Face, in Finsbury Park. Takes about 44mins, according to Google Maps, on the Piccadilly Line - nearest station to me on that line is Baron's Court. So I set out about an hour before the play was due to start, at about 2.15, got to Baron's Court about 2.30 (got waylaid on the way by people asking for directions I couldn't give), only to find that Baron's Court was closed! The railway worker barring the entrance didn't give me any more information.

I knew I wouldn't make it now - the next nearest station was Earl's Court, in the other direction, and by the time I'd walked there I'd have no chance. Just as well I hadn't bought a ticket - might go on Tuesday, I have as yet nothing booked for that day. Plan B was a film, but the film at the top of my list (highest showing in terms of IMDB ratings), Amores Perros, I remembered was only showing at 2.35 and, wherever it was showing, I wouldn't make it now. So back home I went to discover why Baron's Court was unexpectedly closed, and see what the next available film on my list was.

On the way, saw more people with cases, trying to hail a taxi. There were a lot of people with cases around. I'm guessing this was because of the sudden closure of Baron's Court. Heavens, it only just occurred to me that many of them might have been trying to get to Heathrow - that's the way I go myself. Yikes, that would be a problem, trying to make a flight.. Anyhoo, when I got online, I discovered that the reason for the closure was a trespasser on the line. Makes a change from the more usual "person under a train". And identified the next-highest rated film on my list as the above-mentioned It's Such a Beautiful Day, the feature-length compilation of three short animated films by Don Hertzfeldt. It was showing in the Institute of Contemporary Arts at 8.15, which gave me plenty of time. And now I knew straight away to walk to Earl's Court.

I was peckish, so figured I'd head off pretty soon and grab something to eat in town. Getting off at Embankment, I knew there were plenty of eateries I hadn't tried on Villiers Street, and hit on the first that looked decent - La Piazza, an unassuming Italian. Service wasn't the quickest, but I had plenty of time, and the food was rather good. Not the best I've ever had, I give it about a 6/10, but I had the sirloin, and noticed how much better it was than the one I had in Garfunkel's last Friday.

Now, I should know better than to eat in Garfunkel's, I find standards have really slipped there, but it was right across from the theatre, and I was hungry, so.. Frankly, shoe leather came to mind. I am not in the habit of sending food back, but when she asked how my meal was and I remarked it was tough, she offered to change it and I decided that was wise. When I got another steak, it was edible, but this was obviously because it had been cooked for longer, and it was not as tasty as the first had been. Still, all right with the sauce (which was extra). Now, that's the problem I have with cooking sirloin - I cannot get it tender enough, so I don't do it. I have been in plenty of restaurants where they have served perfectly cooked, tasty steak, soft as butter. Garfunkel's doesn't seem to have learned the knack of this. Avoid.

After my meal tonight, I decided to mooch around Trafalgar Square for a while. On the way, was waylaid by yet another lost tourist, who wanted Covent Garden. Took me forever to find where we were, and where it was, in maps on my phone. Why she didn't have a maps app on her iPad, I really can't say. Then continued on my mooch. Photos on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201537583305742.1073741832.1361836980&type=1&l=ff73f0193b
BTW, forgot to post the photo I took yesterday in Pizza Express. Will do that when finished here.

Strolling down the Mall to the ICA, noticed a whole herd of people, corralled like cattle and wondered what was on.

Haven't been in the ICA since January, so I was delighted to have the excuse again. They have the most fascinating bookshop, but I don't know how it makes any money, with people such as myself (and I did see someone else at it!) seeing interesting books and immediately going online on their phones to see whether they can get them cheaper. Every time I'm in there, I get more ideas of books to buy. Online. And then I hung out in the bar upstairs, with a lemonade (it was quite warm out) and mooched around some more until it was film time.

Well, Don Hertzfeldt is quite endearingly demented, and so are his cartoons. There's a very funny series of ads he was commissioned to write, which are shown before the feature, and were apparently all rejected by the clients. You can see why. I would have too. Some can be seen on YouTube. The feature is quite good. :-) This was the last night of it, and I'm rather glad I got to go.

Coming out, there was some kind of a rock concert in full blast across the road and down Horse Guards Parade. After some searching, I've discovered it was Muse. Well, that settles that then.

Chimerica, at the Almeida Theatre tomorrow night. Tube trespassers permitting..

No comments:

Post a Comment