Saturday 29 June 2013

Fifty Words

On a sunny and quite warm Saturday afternoon, took myself off to Dalston on the Overground, it being the cheapest way to get there, as it avoids Zone 1. Also the most convenient, involving no transport changes. I was peckish, but saw on Google Maps Streetview that there was a KFC on the way to the Arcola theatre - and that was just what I felt like!

I even got a seat on the Overground, which was handy, given that the journey took 40mins. Took an earlier train, to have time to eat. And found the KFC no problem, and the street leading to the theatre. Handy thing, Streetview. My KFC Boneless Banquet was very nice, albeit the chicken was a bit salty - but the thing that regularly strikes me about KFC is the lack of hygiene. I mean, it's almost every KFC I go into; the tables are filthy, the floors are filthy, the bins are overflowing, trays scattered higgledy-piggledy on top. Staff hardly ever seem to clean, and when they do it's with a distinct lack of enthusiasm. Where are the inspectors, I ask myself? I subsequently made a complaint on the KFC website. And decided to wait until I reached the theatre to use the toilet.

Speaking of which..



Spot the toilet..! It becomes easier with the lid open. Yes, it is that bit on the right, and you sit parallel to the handbasin, which is in the same unit. Very flash.

Fifty Words is showing in Studio 1. The action all takes place in a kitchen / dining room, across which you have to walk to get to the seating on the other sides (the entrance is to the side of the stage). Nice décor on stage, you'd get ideas for home decorating. Whatever the story was with the matinee (actually, I see tickets are cheaper, which might explain why none were available), this performance wasn't sold out - although quite full - so no need to book, really, for an evening performance, just arrive early to get a good seat (seats are unreserved). Folding chairs again, and again quite comfortable. Latecomers not admitted until a suitable interval, which in this case doesn't happen until 30mins in - so plan to arrive on time!

Because you'd hate to miss a minute of this. It's the most blistering writing I've come across in years. A dissection of marriage, of the relationship between a husband and wife, over the course of a night. Every conceivable argument is raised, every conceivable scenario enacted, and yet not one iota seems contrived, or clichéd. This is flawless. The acting is superb, kudos to the director, and, well, I bow down in humility to the writer. It's funny, it's shocking, it's riveting. Overall, it's stunning. Go see, or regret the loss of your chance. Showing until the 20th. Best show of the moment - sorry, Chimerica! You've been relegated to second place.

Interestingly, the thing that kept running through my head was - this is the theatrical equivalent of Gone Girl, a very good book I mentioned a while back. The similarities are uncanny - apart from the fact that the wife in this play doesn't go missing! The guy from the Midwestern US marries the wealthy, All-American, blonde girl from the East Coast, they live in New York, they have been together for enough years to know each other inside out. They are both having work problems, and when arguments start, they know how to push each others' buttons. And a couple of other points, but that would be to give away the plot. Basically, both book and play are an in-depth, no-holds-barred, look at the psychology of marriage. Not for the faint-hearted.

The show runs for 1hr 40mins without interval, and, as one review put it, we're almost affronted to be asked to leave this world that's been created. They had to come out for three curtain calls, which surprised them. Interestingly, the actor (it's a two-person show) was on my train home. Fancy, I looked up and there he was, strolling along the platform to see the departure schedule. So I did my very best not to be the un-cool, star-struck, person. But I was vexed that I didn't see where, or if, he got off.

Well, that's two terrific shows in a row. Can Children of the Sun make it a trinity, tomorrow afternoon? In other news, I have booked to see Simon Boccanegra, in the Royal Opera House, on Monday. I had a newspaper voucher for half-price expensive tickets, which still meant they cost £85, but I'm cheaper than that, and I managed to get the very last seat going for £23. I may get altitude sickness, considering how high I'll be - indeed, this is slightly higher than I've ever been before - but it's the Royal Opera House, so I know the view will be fine, and there are railings to help get you up and down the stairs. For Tuesday, I was looking at The Night Alive, Conor McPherson's new play, which is receiving its world premiere in the Donmar Warehouse, Covent Garden - but, as only standing tickets remained, that will have to wait for another night. Thinking about a film, but again, until it's booked that's subject to change..

No comments:

Post a Comment