Sunday 30 June 2013

Children of the Sun

Gee, but the weather has been lovely today! So, it was appropriate I go to see something called Children of the Sun - although, of course, it has nothing to do with that..

Just as well I was early - Bankside was dense with tourists. As was the river, with packed tour boats passing up and down. I had booked one of the National Theatre's heavily advertised £12 Travelex-sponsored tickets: and here, again, we see the value, both of booking in advance, and of booking a cheap seat - because I was upgraded. Turns out the place was only half full, and I got to be 9 rows further forward, in a nice central seat, than I would otherwise have been. That seat would normally have cost £34..

Now, this is a political play, by Maxim Gorky, written in 1905. What I tend to find with English-language adaptations of Russian plays is that the language comes across a bit stilted, especially with everyone being addressed by their patronymics. However, I only noticed this briefly in this production, although some actors did a much better job of a natural delivery than did others. The Scot who plays Boris is a case in point, sounding the most natural, right from the start.

The play centres on Pavel, a self-absorbed scientist, who, immersed in the work he considers so important, doesn't notice that his world is falling apart around him. His wife is carrying on with her artist friend, Boris is courting Pavel's sister, who has mental problems, Boris' sister is obsessed with Pavel, Pavel is being cheated by the man who gets his supplies, and, most ominously of all, the people of the town, who have always looked up to Pavel's family, are getting restless, and suspicious of Pavel's experiments. Gorky highlights the frivolity of the upper classes, in contrast to the building resentment of the ordinary folk, which finally erupts in a (literally) explosive climax. People of a nervous disposition, be warned!

Good play, some laughs, and goes out with a bang. Not the equal of last night's Fifty Words, but not at all bad. Runs until the 14th.

Headed for Pizza Express again, since I was in the area and didn't want to go home just yet. Was sat downstairs, and had a very nice meal, but the delay afterwards meant that, by the time someone finally cleared away my plate, I had lost the desire for dessert. Still, they did give me a voucher for 30% off my next meal - it's a summer promotion - and for completing an online survey about my experience, I got a voucher for a free portion of garlic bread or dough balls! Lovely..

So, Simon Boccanegra tomorrow night, and maybe the pictures on Tuesday. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment