Tuesday 14 May 2013

The Match Box

So, last night I went to see The Match Box, at the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn. About time I finally got here, it's appeared in listings for ages. Also, conveniently, accessible on the Overground, thus avoiding the expense of Zone 1. Leave Brondesbury Station, turn right, it's a short walk. Fortunately, I left time, given the warning email (!) I received from the box office manager after I booked, reminding me of the start time and emphasising that, because of the intimate nature of the performenace, latecomers would NOT be admitted. So I wasn't late.

Confusing entrance on this side. Apparently there's another entrance, handier if you're coming from the Tube; I think this is the entrance pictured on the website, and it looks easier to spot. Coming from the Overground, you see a big sign for the Tricycle, and a porch underneath. No, this is NOT the entrance! Not to the theatre, anyway, but to a private estate. Hmm. so I carried on another bit, and spotted a much less conspicuous entrance a couple of doors down. Hmm. They could work on that. Then, there is a box office on that side, but there was a sign on the shutter saying it was closed, and to go to the box office at the other entrance. Which I had to ask directions to. Easy when you know how, just turn left down the corridor - but still, a confusing start.

Flirty guy at the box office asked me what I was a doctor of. "Statistics" is a real conversation killer, let me tell you. The seating in this theatre is constructed from scaffolding with seats on it. Nonetheless, the seats are the comfiest I've sat on. Legroom not the best tho, but not too bad. The show itself is a one-woman show. As someone remarked on the way out, "I don't know how they can make anyone do that." 1hr 45mins, no interval. Irish playwright. Other comments on the way out were mostly one-word. "Amazing." "Intense." "Astonishing." "Mesmerising." I can add another - "Stunning". She's a one-woman tour de force. I don't know which to praise more highly - her or the writing. I have said before that Mies Julie is the best show in town currently - I can now say it has a rival. Go see - and book, it was full last night. Runs until 1 June. And make sure to arrive on time! although they did start a bit late.

With no interval (I love that, it gives you more time to do other things with your night) I was finished early, and hungry, and there are many eateries on the short walk between the Tricycle and the Overground station, but Nando's caught my eye. I love Nando's - the food is good, the vibe is good, and it's a bit quicker because you take your initial order to the till and pay on the spot. And it's reasonably priced. And they have the most to-die-for chocolate (choc-a-lot) cake. Which I had last night, and finally realised the value of cream with your meal, the chocolate was so dark. The garlic bread was a bit tough, but otherwise an excellent meal, and hence the reason I didn't have time to write this last night. It was late when I got home, what with having to wait 20mins for a train at Willesden Junction, which, I must admit, is a trainspotter's paradise, you can see so many different platforms.

Off to Travels With my Aunt, by Graham Greene, tonight at the Menier Chocolate Factory (no, they don't give you a free chocolate), of which the review points out that the first remarkable thing about it is the absence of an aunt. Finally got a ticket for Merrily We Roll Along for tomorrow night, booking must be slowing. It was completely sold out all last month. Harold Pinter theatre again, yuck. Worst legroom of anywhere I've been. Will not go upstairs at this theatre because of this, it has to be stalls. The rear stalls are blighted by a pair of pillars in the way, so I spent ages trying to decide whether to go for the best, cheapest option, an end seat in the very last row - or go up to a higher price band for a seat further forward. Plumped for the last row in the end. Deciding on a film for Thursday, Star Trek Into Darkness is the highest rated, at 8.4/10 on IMDB. So that was a cert. Booked, as it's in the Odeon and I have membership, so cheaper if I book. Aren't I the organised one?

1 comment:

  1. As for food, next time, try Spicy Basil

    https://plus.google.com/110757423232347326825/about?gl=uk&hl=en

    Although there are many other places to eat in Kilburn. It is pretty known for its food :)

    https://plus.google.com/104788180776783994169/about?gl=uk&hl=en

    https://plus.google.com/109847742532235158046/about?gl=uk&hl=en


    ReplyDelete