Friday 31 May 2013

Passion Play

My journey into town tonight was enlivened by running into Liam and Mashrur (hi guys!), who were heading into another part of town for dinner and a movie. No, not like that.. a whole bunch of them were going to see Star Trek - Into Darkness, in 3D. Hope you all enjoyed it..

I headed off to Theatreland for Passion Play, in the Duke of York's Theatre. It's a while since I booked it, so I'd forgotten that I got quite a good deal on this - a seat 2/3 of the way back in the stalls, for 1/3 off, with LondonBoxOffice. Mind you, I see the theatre now has a similar offer on their own website, with 1/3 off top price tickets until the end of June. Also, from a conversation I heard behind me, I think there were upgrades - this isn't selling as well as it should.

Zoe Wanamaker stars. I must admit, I was dubious. I've been to so many ho-hum shows in the West End, with big-name stars and overpriced tickets, about which you could say, at best, "Well, yes, it was watchable". But you know, this is an extremely clever play. It centres on a middle-aged couple, where the husband begins an affair with a younger woman. It's very stylish, and Zoe is a delight to watch, but it really takes shape when their alter-egos/inner selves appear as actors dressed like them and resembling them physically, who vocalise their inner thoughts and imagined conversations. This device is used to powerful effect in the second half, in particular. And at stages throughout, we're treated to the most marvellous choral classical music (Zoe's character is supposed to be a professional chorister).

Actually, it reminded me a bit of Gone Girl, the latest thriller by Gillian Flynn, in the sense of being an examination of a marriage from the inside, where we are privy to each person's inner thoughts. It's a really excellent book, and would make a great companion piece to this.

Passion Play is booking to the 3rd of August, and really deserves more people to go and see it. It's head and shoulders above most of the stuff that gets shuffled around the West End. And yes, there is nudity - some behind screens, some more explicit, but all very tasteful. The last image, in particular, is stunning and the standing ovation was well deserved!

And tomorrow, for variety, we have The Play That Goes Wrong, at Trafalgar Studios. I hear good things. The run was extended, and although I was under the impression that tomorrow was the last day, apparently it's booking right through next year! I guess it's not having any trouble with ticket sales, then.. I also guess it'll be a long time, in that case, before I come to this theatre again, having already seen it. That's the thing with these long-running plays; by the time a new production finally opens, you've forgotten where the theatre is!

No comments:

Post a Comment