Saturday 18 May 2013

Opera: Wozzeck

Well, I made it in time that I didn't have a heart attack climbing all the way to the balcony of the Coliseum, for tonight's performance of Wozzeck. Handy that the Tube disruptions this weekend only apply westbound from my station, not eastbound into town.


So, this is the view from my seat. Very good seat for the money, gorgeous building and ample opportunity, from the balcony, to see the detail of the ceiling, all that marble and gilt. Lovely. And, as you can see from the bald head in the photo, which was taken from a seated position, the rake is steep enough that people in front of you don't really spoil the view.

But oh my, did I regret coming to this opera. Which is a shame, because I love coming here. Having lasted until the end (there was no interval), I think the problem is, it's too bleak. Now, I can do bleak. Have done many bleak plays. But you see, when opera does bleak, it does it operatically. In other words, it goes completely over the top. Now, this worked in the section of the opera where our (anti-)hero, Wozzeck, is going around murdering people. That scene suited the simplistic dialogue, and the raucous, tuneless cacophony that the orchestra produced. Unfortunately, the whole blasted opera was like that. And what was with the plot in the first part, with a whole conversation about the correct way of cutting hair, and a doctor who seemed to be performing bizarre medical experiments on Wozzeck?! No wonder he went bonkers. I'm sorry, this had nothing going for it. Except the set design, that was interesting and worked well. Ugh. Avoid, unless you're an absolute opera fanatic.

Peckish afterwards, I headed for Villiers Street, where I know there are many restaurants - although I've tried the Indian and don't recommend it. This time, I headed for Café Rouge, at the top of the street. This is a decent chain, which I ate in the last time I was in Gatwick airport. And they were showing the Eurovision song contest final, which was nice - with the sound down, which is probably wise. I can recommend their garlic mushrooms - they come with a lot of sauce, and some pastry, unusually, and are divine. The house white is drinkable, the beef bourgignon, sadly, was a tad tasteless. I adore their chocolate ganache dessert though, which tastes exactly like McVitie's Penguin biscuits.

Speaking of the Eurovision, I watched the end when I got home. Never heard Graham Norton commentating before, as I've always watched it in Ireland. Jeez, he is hilarious.. but then, many Irish with access to BBC do watch his commentary, in preference. I might have, but we didn't have BBC.. I see we came last. :-( Well, I'm sorry, but I did say that song was s**t. And well done to the UK for getting a respectable placing. With Denmark following Sweden's lead last year in winning, it seems to be the Nordic era. Can't say I thought much of the song, though.

Heading to a play called "Mess" in the Battersea Arts Centre on Monday. It's about anorexia, apparently, but quite entertaining, they do say.

No comments:

Post a Comment