Thursday 16 May 2013

Merrily We Roll Along

Finally got to see Merrily We Roll Along last night at the Harold Pinter theatre. Chose my seat carefully, and got it exactly right, so the effort was worth it.

1. For this theatre, ALWAYS go for the stalls. Higher levels have virtually no legroom; the stalls are fine in this regard.

2. The rear stalls are obstructed by two pillars. If no seats are available forward of the pillars, or you don't want to pay the exorbitant price, go for an aisle seat - the pillars are less obtrusive.

3. I was in the last row of the stalls, for the sake of getting an aisle seat. This is not too far away for those used to sitting in upper levels, and the overhang doesn't actually obscure any of the action. In fact, for the second act, many people moved back to my row to try for a better view. (Nightmarish, isn't it, that stalls seats can have a substandard view? I hate this theatre.)

As for the show itself, which previously ran in the Menier Chocolate Factory, I am amazed that this good a show ran in such a small venue. The production values, the scale, the quality of the singing, cry out for a larger venue, such as it now has. It's a Broadway musical (Stephen Sondheim) with the interesting plot device that the story starts at the end, when the characters are disillusioned with life, and works backwards, so we get to see the origin of some references made earlier in the show, and the songs become progressively more upbeat as the characters are portrayed as more hopeful. Hence, the show really takes off in the second half. Different - I liked it. Runs until 27 July.

Star Trek Into Darkness tonight. Good, it's a while since I saw a film, and it's nice because that means I can go local for a change. 2D, I have trouble with 3D. Nothing else booked until the 28th, when I'm off to The Hothouse. Watch this space though, I'm sure something will appear in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment