Wednesday 1 May 2013

Fraulein Julie

Made it this time. :-)

Long journey over to the Barbican. Google Maps sends me either on the Piccadilly Line to King's Cross, then to Barbican Station, or on the District Line to Monument, then the Northern Line to Moorgate Station. District Line this evening. Just as well I didn't cut it too fine, there were some delays due to signal problems.

Weirdo award of the evening goes to the strange-looking man who got up from his seat when Earl's Court was announced, but left his large kit bag in front of the seat so nobody could sit in it. Then he put a home-rolled cigarette in his mouth, took out a lighter, but didn't light it. Twice. When there was an announcement that there would be a minor delay, he punched the support pole. Mercifully, we eventually got to the station and he eventually got off. With his bag. Whereupon I got his seat.

Many thanks to the gent on the escalator in front of me, leaving at Moorgate, who left his Evening Standard at the top. Which I picked up as I passed. V handy. They don't carry free papers at West Ken Station. Walk to the Barbican is short and mostly well signposted - Google Maps Streetview recommended.

And so to the venue. I do like the Barbican - pity it's not closer. Had some confusion on arrival, as usual. I think you really need to be coming here quite regularly to get the feel of the place. Also recommended to get an e-ticket, which avoids queueing at the ticket desks. Peckish, I stocked up on a packet of Minstrels before going in. As ever, reasonably comfy seats and good legroom. Not a bad view in the house - I was in the very back row of the upper level.

And the show? As I said before, this is a German-language version (with surtitles) of a play I saw some weeks back, "Mies Julie", running in the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith until the 19th. Very, very different version. "Mies Julie" is all fiery passion, "Fraulein Julie" is the much more poignant tale of the spurned fiancée of the servant who has a torrid affair with the lady of the house. However, what's really interesting about this production is that the whole thing is played out as a movie, on a large screen over the stage (with English subtitles), while on the stage you can see the making of the movie, in real time. As a guy in the row in front of me asked his friends afterwards, "So, did you enjoy your masterclass in filmmaking?"

So, if you ever wondered how they manage those close-ups, where there didn't seem to be room for the camera, or how the microphone picks up the sound, or how common film effects are achieved, go see this show. They even have a cellist playing the background music, over the side. It's a revelation. A film within a play, indeed. Recommended - but hurry, it's only on until Saturday, and tickets are limited.

Thinking about "Glory Dazed" at the Soho Theatre for tomorrow. They tend to have edgy, interesting stuff. Off to Bristol for the long weekend, whee! 'Twill be nice to get away, the weather should be ok, and there does seem to be plenty to do. I shall blog about it, never fear. Already thinking ahead, I've booked "London Wall" at St. James' Theatre, near Buckingham Palace, for Tuesday. It's an 80-year old play about women in the workplace. I'm glad to get a ticket, it sold out completely during its run at the Finborough Theatre. Pity I didn't get to see it there, that's walking distance for me and where it's running now, for all that it's a new theatre, does not have good legroom. Still, I booked an aisle seat, so hopefully won't be in too much agony. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment