Tuesday 7 May 2013

Final Day of Travel: Wells

Decided not to have breakfast, there being no mention of what it cost. Had thought check-out was 11, delighted to discover it wasn't until 12, but still decided to try and make the 11.35 bus to Wells. There is only one per hour on bank holidays, and I didn't want to waste the day.

Lifts were working, fortunately. Had to queue for check-out. It was 11.10 by this stage, and I was beginning to get nervous about making the bus. And was right to be. You know, they're lovely at this hotel, but completely scatty. So, I finally got to the desk, she made out my bill and informed me I had about £34 outstanding. You what?! I asked for an itemised bill, which took some minutes to print out, and asked her to explain the charges.

She explained I was being charged for three breakfasts, having been there for three nights. O lordy, would someone please explain the basics of hotel administration to these people?! I had to tell her, several times, because she didn't seem to be getting it, that I only had two breakfasts, and that of those, I had a voucher for one. And why.

Just as well, breakfast seemed to cost £12.90. Rip-off, as ever. Stil doesn't explain one charge of £13.75 on my bill. In fact, my bill was littered with unexplained charges. And I'm still trying to make a bus. In the end, there was such confusion that I ended up not paying for breakfast at all. Which makes it all's well that ends well.

Left them in charge of my case and galloped for the bus. Which, naturally, was late. In the meantime, I had time to be confused several times by people asking me questions. I must have that kind of face. Confused, why? I dreaded anyone at all speaking to me, because I could not understand one word of what they said. Impenetrable accent..

Bus was a bit stuffy in the glorious sunshine, but relieved from time to time by a breeze wafting from the windows. After a winding journey of just under an hour, through rolling hills with sheep on them, we arrived in Wells. No problems at all figuring out where to get off. Wells isn't that big anyway, but when we passed a wall with gaps in it, through which we could see a whopping great cathedral, we all decided this would be a good place to get off.

To the sound of drums. We'd arrived in the middle of a May fair! and the Mendip Drummers were entertaining us. Right in front of a mediaeval gatehouse, over the top of which some of the cathedral spires were visible.

Passed through the Pauper's Gate, in which, appropriately, a pauper was begging, and into Cathedral Close, which is the first proper view you get of this amazing cathedral. Truly, this is spectacular. The front has something like 300 statues, many life-size. It is a majestic sight. And impressive to see that there is no entry fee, just a suggested donation. And you have to buy a photo permit, which is fair enough. I don't think I'd recommend the guided tours, you're better off with a good guidebook and taking the time to dwell on the interesting bits. I listened to the tour for a while, and decided I'd rather wander off on my own.

Afterwards, finally felt ready to eat. There were food stalls around the market square, and a very good smell emanating from "The Parson's Nose" but it turned out they were only doing sausage rolls, and honestly I don't really like English sausage, too heavy for me. So I ended up eating Italian again, in "Ask", the nearest restaurant to the cathedral. Luckily, I was at the end of the lunch rush, and didn't have to wait very long, despite the apologies of someone who looked like the manager. Excellent service - generally excellent food too, apart from the incinerated chips. :-)

Well fed, I set off again, to explore the bishop's palace, next door. Wandered into the compund and took some photos (again, watch this space for them) and was dismayed to see they charged an entrance fee. So, after consulting my guidebook as to what was to be seen there, I decided it wasn't worth it and moved on.

Very hot at this point. Really, the first day of summer. I wandered around to Vicar's Close, which my guidebook had recommended, snapped off a photo, wandered back to the green, decided to make for St. Cuthbert's church, near the station. Famous for its starring role in Hot Fuzz. Had the church not been so interesting, I'd have made the earlier bus! but it was a lovely, cool, tranquil haven on a hot, sunny, crowded day.

Which was followed by a hot, dry wait for nearly an hour at the bus station. Ah well. Dozed on the bus back to Bristol, had the luxury of a reserved seat with telly on the train back to London, and here I am.

Well, it's still sunny, at least! "London Wall" at St. James Theatre tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment