Friday 26 April 2013

Mayerling (ballet)

Of course, as usual, was almost late for this. Well, London takes so long to get around.. anyhoo, praise be, there are lifts to the amphiteatre, and I made my seat 10 seconds before lights went down. Phew..

It's been a while since I was at the Royal Opera House.


Seat was right under the roof (higher than this photo), but a direct view to the stage. Legroom a slight problem (always is in the amphitheatre), but not severely cramped. Had a most cantakerous person at the end of our row, who argued with both the guy sitting in front of her, and a woman sitting in the row behind. Some people are never happy. To most people's relief, she left early.

Right, to the business of the evening. I'd never seen "Mayerling" before, and I was absolutely blown away. I'm getting the dvd (available on the opera house website, but cheaper on http://www.amazon.co.uk). I don't know a lot about ballet, but I know what I like. I like classical and I like contemporary; this is interesting, something in between. More like classical ballet, so you get the traditional forms - but more natural than traditional classical ballet. I've never seen ballet so fluid and passionate. And a very technically difficult piece - see the opera house website for a video with the lead dancer describing how he needed weight training to prepare. Gorgeous costumes too.

O yes, recommended. A beautiful thing to watch. Runs until 15 June, book early for best availability.

And now I take a break for a few days - back to Ireland. I'm due to have dinner in the Curtain's Up on Monday, and have booked for "The Breadwinner" by Somerset Maugham, running in the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond, on Tuesday. I was there once before - also for a Somerset Maugham piece. They must have a thing for him. Anyway, a short walk from the station, as I recall. This runs until the 18th May - early booking recommended, it's selling out fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment