Tuesday 23 April 2013

Film: The Gatekeepers

A documentary, featuring the first ever interviews with the leaders of Shin Bet, the Israeli intelligence agency.

Saw this tonight in the Curzon Mayfair. Don't really bother with Curzons in general, they're too expensive, but this was the only cinema showing this.

Well, well worth a look - it's good to challenge your beliefs from time to time. You start off being shocked by their apparent disregard for morality ("morality? against terrorism?"), then you see what they're up against. What surprised me was I hadn't really realised that they have as much trouble with Jewish settler extremists as with Hamas.

I'm put in mind of a joke quoted in "Nineveh", which I saw on Sunday:

"The king of Africa goes to God and says, 'When will we have peace?' God replies, 'Not in your lifetime.'
The lord of India goes to God and says, 'When will we have peace?' God replies, 'Not in your lifetime.'
The chief of the Middle East goes to God and says, 'When will we have peace?' God replies, 'Not in my lifetime!'"

I'm just so glad I don't live in the "Promised Land".

Anyhoo. On to "Rosemary's Baby" tomorrow. Goodee. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment