Tuesday 30 April 2013

Curtain's Up (pub grub)

Went to the Curtain's Up for dinner last night. It's a decent pub, with a theatre upstairs (which, funnily enough, I haven't been to yet) and a decent menu.

Well, we had steak, and while I was well fed, I have to say I wasn't mad about it. Might have had something to do with the fact that it was chargrilled, and I'm not mad about that. Also, however, it was a bit tasteless - and I've had enough steaks to know that that doesn't have to be the case. Also, it was a bit inconvenient to have the meal served on a wooden trencher, covered with what looked like greaseproof paper, which I ended up cutting through - of course - and which threatened to be part of my dinner.

The chips were lovely, though. Service was good, a pleasant atmosphere, and nice to be walking distance from home. I have eaten better there before - won't be having the steak again.

Anyway. Off to The Breadwinner, by Somerset Maugham, in the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond tonight. It's a pleasant day so far, should be a nice day to head out of town a bit.

Fraulein Julie, in the Barbican, tomorrow night. Now, this is interesting. It's the German (and in German, with surtitles) version of Mies Julie, still playing in the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith. As the review in Time Out said, it's interesting that the two best shows in London this week are both versions of the same play.

I certainly agree in respect of Mies Julie.. which makes Fraulein Julie worth a look. Takes a completely different tack, apparently. We shall see. Both shows selling heavily. I also do love going to the Barbican - terrific venue, multi-function, comfortable, plenty of eating options as well. It just takes so long to get to from here. Never mind..

No comments:

Post a Comment